Sunday, November 21, 2010

Change

As fall turns to winter, and the leaves start falling from the trees, I'm reminded that change is an inevitable part of life. Thankfully, our seasons cycle through these changes in a predictable pattern, so that even when autumn is gone, we know it will be back again. Often, I wish that the changes in life were so predictable. Some are - the "social clock" that we follow does dictate much of the natural change in life. Graduating high school, starting and completing college, getting married, choosing a career . . . transitioning from one life stage to the next is an anticipated part of life.

However, it is hard to predict how these changes will affect the inner workings of our heart, our relationships, and how we view the world. Sometimes, it's in a positive way, as we draw closer to a loved one, find new friendships, and develop a greater understanding of others. However, I have found recently that I dread the changes that are happening - drawing apart from old friends, losing the support of relationships that once were quite alive, and finding that I no longer understand the choices that some people make.

And I don't like that.

No comments: